Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My uterus is like a box of chocolates.....


This is what a HAPPY NORMAL UTERUS should look like..........
I really wish this is what mine looked like - it would be so nice to know that when my fertility doc went in to take a peak, that this is what was smiling back at her. Ah - a girl can dream though!

I got a call back from Dr. Austin (the fertility doc) today regarding my pelvic MRI results. The MRI showed a "partial septate uterus" See pic below....

This is basically a uterine shape abnormality that I have had since birth. The inside of the uterus SHOULD be completely open and triangle in shape. With the septate defect, there is a piece of tissue the comes down either fully or partially into the uterine cavity.

There is a possibility that it could be preventing us from getting preggers. The egg might be getting fertilitzed but due to the sepatate wall, is unable to implant in the uterus. If we do happen to get preggers, there is a marked increase in the chance of recurrent miscarriage with a septate uterus as well.

So all in all - not the greatest of news BUT on the positive side of things, it can be easily repaired. Dr. Austin has suggested I get an operative hysteroscopy done in her office. This is a big fancy term for "invasion & manipulation of my nether regions" HOW EXCITING!!!!
We will have to schedule this lovely procedure after our Florida vacation. Although I am not thrilled at the prospect of having my poor "va jay jay" poked and prodded, I am somewhat relieved that we can fix it. I will know that if we have to pursue IVF, that my lady parts are all in the best condition that they can possibly be.

As for my blog title - I will explain.
The "box of chocolates" reference.....I was going over all this info with my good friend Mary and explaining all the ins and outs (excuse the pun) As I was telling her, I started to say " my uterus is like...." and she couldn't help herself.....she gleefully added, " ....like a box of chocolates" - YES FOLKS - this is the perfect example of what MY friends are like..... you gotta love it thought - hehehehehe!!!

So that is the UTERINE UPDATE for the day.....just another bit of proof that G-d has a fantastic sense of humor. I mean - why would my uterus be normal when the rest of me is abnormal?

I have to run out for a bit but may be back online later after "SUSHI TUESDAY" - Talk at ya'll soon! HUGS

No comments: