Sunday, December 28, 2008

I think I only have powdered eggs in my ovaries...

Yep - you guessed it! I am seriously feeling my "advanced maternal age" today!!!
I think it is largely due to the fact that I am about a month and a half away from my 38th birthday. This lovely transition puts me into yet "another fertility age group" with even lower chances of conceiving.
If you are wondering about how this works, let me give you an approximate breakdown.....

The age factor

As you can see from the graph below, by age 36 a normal woman's chance of conceiving per month is decreased by half. The downward slope continues until by age 45 the average natural fertility rate per month is approximately 1%.

Graph - chance of conception per month by age

Provided by the Hollywood Fertility Centre

It's really disheartening when you take a close look at going from 37 to 38 yrs old and on.

I am so freakin worried that by the time we save up the $$$$ for the IVF attempt that it will be unsuccessful due to my age. I know in my head that it is not all about age and that there are SOOO many other factors to be considered. It just worries me to think about investing $12,000+ into a procedure that has about a 50/50 chance of working. I know in my heart that we will most likely try anyway because I think that if we did not at least give it one shot, I would always be wondering what if.

If any of you are wondering if we had thought or discussed the possibility of adopting - the answer is a definitive YES! Jim and I would be delighted to adopt however we have come to find out it is not as easy as one would think. Let me give you a few facts that I found out while investigating this avenue................

Adoption on average costs anywhere between $28,000 - $35,000 depending on the agency or lawyer you use. This cost can increase if you decide to adopt internationally. It can take on average of up to 2-3 years to be matched with a child and an additional year to officially adopt that child into your family. Many agencies will not consider you for adoption unless you have been married at least 5 years. If you want to adopt through your local welfare agencies, often times you are required to foster these children first -thus there is a real possibility of a child being returned to their biological parents.

These are just some of the facts that I learned - I was amazed, dismayed, disheartened and shocked to be honest. I think we had both hoped that adoption would be an easier process but unfortunately we found that not to be the case. We did not completely rule out the idea of adoption. We just know that it would be our last case scenario based on funds and time together.

I am guessing by now that you realize my overall state of mental health has improved since my last post. Although I am not sure it could have gotten any worse. Nothing like the added infertility mood swings to make this journey even more fun to deal with!!!!

On a completely side note - I don't remember if I mentioned or not but that pesky MRI that I had been trying to get.....well I finally had it done this past week! YEEHAW!!!! Now I am just on pins and needles until I hear the official report from the doc.
I am pretty sure it will boil down to her telling me that - Yes, I do have an abnormal uterine shape and as such will have to pursue IVF in order to get preggers. I am just hoping it's not so bad that it rules out IVF as well. Only time will tell and YES I am worrying in the meantime!

CD15 today and no eggies have popped yet! It looked like my ovulation test yesterday was getting progressively darker but is not yet positive. I am hoping that today or tomorrow I get my LH surge, a + OPK test followed by "the eggie drop heard round the world!"
Needless to say, I have been jumping hubby every chance I can.

That is my aged Sunday update for you all - Here is to hoping and wishing your Sunday is restful! (P.S. - The Browns are going to lose like they always do - I do not suggest watching the game! )

No comments: