Monday, March 23, 2009

More than a few screws loose in my head!!!



So I finally got the answer to the dizziness issue this morning at my appt. with the ENT doc.
**BPPV or Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo**

Rather than go into a lengthy medical explanation of this problem, I will link you to a great information page on what it is, what causes it and how it is treated (if you are so inclined to read all about it) Anyhoo Here is the link....................... BPPV - Pretty cool eh?

In normal human being terms.....everyone has these crystals in their inner ear (for my purposes here I am going to call them screws...just cuz I like that term and it's my blog!)
There is a special spot for these "screws" where they are happy, comfortable and content.
If a situation should arise, such as a head trauma, surgery, anesthesia, etc. it can cause some or all of these "screws" to move into the inner ear canals. The "screws" are NOT welcome in the canals....they are unhappy, irritable, and sad there. As a result, they start grumbling and stomping around (not really but hey ...go with it...it's an analogy for chrissake!) The result of all this disruptive behavior on the "screws" part is the subsequent dizziness/vertigo!!!

So there you have it..........MY SCREWS are truly loose!!! Who woulda' thunk?

The ENT doc gave me a list of exercises to do to help correct the problem. The only hard part of the exercises is that you have to do a lot of laying down & sitting up which with my healing belly is tough. Thank goodness hubby is around to help. We shall see if we can knock these suckers back into their home turf! I hope so!!!!

On the belly healing front......have lost about 6 of the steri-strips on my belly (not picked I might add) and the incision line looks absolutely FANTASTIC!!! I go back to see the surgeon again tomorrow. I have been walking everyday with Jim and my energy is coming back fast!!!

On a the TTC/BABY TRAIN....I am managing to keep it low key. It has been hard to step away from something I want so much. It is something so close to my heart and with each passing month it gets a bit stronger. I know that somehow, some way....Jim and I will be parents BUT
for now I am trying to stay in today! (much easier said than done!)

I do need to vent a small bit about something that has been bothering for awhile now.
In the last six months, Jim and I started slowly to discuss the possibility of adoption as a real option for us. We had ALWAYS been open to this option but had wanted to try the fertility route first.

In any case, as we have moved along on our journey, I cannot begin to tell you HOW many people have said some of the following things to us (with good intent, of course):

"Since you are having such a hard time with conceiving, why don't you just adopt?"
"There are hundreds of kids needing a good home - why don't you just adopt?"
"You could adopt a child so easily.........why spend all that money on fertility treatments?"

I am sure you get the idea.......so for my own sanity and to clear up some of the misunderstandings surrounding this let me share a few facts:

1. The average cost of a private adoption in the U.S. is between $15,000 - $35,000.
As such, we can no sooner jump into adoption without a good amount of saving & planning then we could with our fertility treatments.
2. Jim and I feel that every penny we have put toward our fertility treatments has been worthwhile even though we have not been successful. We would do it all over again in a heartbeat just for the chance of a biological child of our own.
3. Jim and I have ALWAYS considered adoption as one of our options right from the start but wanted to pursue the fertility treatments first before going that route.
4. We don't consider adoption to be second best to our fertility treatments, rather just another option to pursue when and if we feel the time is right.
5. If and when we seriously pursue adoption, the average wait time from start to baby in hand is anywhere from 1.5 to 2 years...so despite "all these children needing good homes" we know it will be a long and arduous process.

I could go on and on but I am sure you get the idea here......
WHEW!!!! I feel better now for having got that off my chest!!!

Not much else to report....Hope everyone has a great day!

MOOD REPORT:

No comments: